MUF - Sunlight

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

China Radar Intentional Interference

Since the Chinese radar centers on the 75m DX window, it is quite apparent that their interference with amateur radio use of the band is intentional!  I am not going to suggest a boycott of all Chinese hams, but China is certainly a rogue nation in ham radio land.

I have no DX in the log from Nov. 9 through 12.  Yesterday was another radar day as was today.  Yesterday I worked VK9MA on 40m SSB and ZL2XC on 75m (poor prop).  Today I had a nice chat with VK3SS on 40m. 

Wednesday, 15 Nov., worked ZL1ICU on 75m ssb with difficulty...BY-radar again & signals about S7 both ways, just above the noise & in the radar.

Saturday, 18 Nov., a very low angle day as signals from all directions were much stronger on the 3 loops than on on the Waller Flag (higher angle horizontal).  BH4IGO was in very strong on 3796 at 11:27 Z. I worked him, but W9UCW (& AA9BD) believed that he was on a remote as the signal was 15/9 from the southeast in S. TX.  **Another "remote" possibility is what Barry called "spotlight" long path, but I did not check to the southeast.  I often do not check the long (reverse) path as it takes too long to rotate the Waller Flag by 180 deg.  Remember that I worked IZ8CCW at 11:11Z on 11 Jan. 2017 on 3796 SSB. Another "impossible" event.  The rule is: "Work 'em first, check later."

Sunday, 19 Nov., John, VK2WEO came back to my CQ DX at sunrise.  He was buried in my noise, very weak, but embarrassingly he gave me a 59 and likewise copied W6UC the same.  Lots of lost souls from the US calling Sweepstakes in the DX window.  DUH!  Sweepstakes is the antithesis of a DX contest!  (Jay's rent-a-brain store is now open!) 

Monday, 20 Nov., Peter, VK6APZ came through at 48 just at his sunset.  He was hearing well, as he always does.  Abe, JA1MSS was in my noise at 36 and gave me a 45.  I also worked several east coast stations & Alain, VE2ENM (strong as usual).  Lubos, KP2AD was in briefly at an hour after his sunrise.  Mike was hung over from a weekend of wild parties and was too late to join in.  Phil, W6UC (Dr. DX) was pleasantly present all morning.  😄📻📡

Tuesday & Wednesday, 21 & 22 Nov., RADAR both days. Managed to work Ron, VK3IO at my sunrise on 3796 -- weak both ways as he was 3x8 & I was 4x8. Old man Barry was on 1.5 hrs after my sunrise at 5x5 callin CQ DX at his sunrise. (No one needs TX!)

Thursday & Friday, 23 & 24 Nov., RADAR again.  Worked 3 U.S. stations & Abe, JA1MSS on Thanksgiving morning. But conditions are still very poor to JA & VK from HP as they have been for several months. Friday I worked South Carolina, then TO2SP on Saint Barthelemy on 40m.  75m DX was a washout!  Thanks China!!!  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It has been a dry spell for 75 meter dx for the middle of the country all year. I don't hear the BYdragon has she is called but I don't hear much else either. The Midwest had a good path to VK/ZL over the last couple of years. I am hoping for better times this winter. I have had 1 JA this season and only a couple VKs on 75. 40 is better. I am looking forward to getting my 40 meter rotatable Dipole up and running soon. That will help on 40 but 75 is still a struggle. So here is a toast to better days soon. 73 for now.